Research & Facilities
Librarian: Dongyao Tan (Kathy) dtan6 AT illinois.edu
Hours: Fall Semester 2012
The library will be closed on the following holidays:
ESL Reference Books
Journals (Back issues until 2006)
MATESL Alumni Theses (until 2006)
The MATESL Alumni Authors Collection
Audiovisual (AV) Recording Equipment
ESL Textbooks by level
Reading & Readers
Research Paper Writing
ESL Teaching Theory
Teaching English for Specific Purposes (ESP)
Written & Spoken Elements in English
Etymology & Semantics
Dictionaries & Lexicography
Synonyms, Antonyms & Homonyms
Discourse & Pragmatics
Journals (back issues till 2006)
The Journal of the Imagination in Language Learning
PASAA- A Journal of Language Teaching and Learning in Thailand
Studies in the Linguistic Sciences
To find a detailed list of books, please come by the library and look up the books in the library catalog. Please ask the librarian for assistance if you are looking for more information about course reserves, the MATESL alumni theses and the MATESL alumni authors collection.
AV Recording Equipment
Priority is given to students who need this equipment to complete course assignments. Please see full list of AV equipment in the MATESL library.
Priority is given to students who need this equipment to complete course assignments.
- Overhead Pens
- Write-on Transparency Films
- Copier Transparency Films
Library Services & Check-Out Policy
- Books, Journals, and Theses
Circulating Area – 5 items / 7 days / one time renewal
See Books, Journals, and Theses Check-Out Policy for further information
- AV Recording Equipment
Shelved behind the check-out desk – 2 days / no renewal
See AV Recording Equipment Check-Out Policy for further information
Library Use Only
- Course Reserves
- Textbooks and Reference Books
- Lesson Plans
- the MATESL Alumni Authors Collection
- Reserved AV Equipment
The MATESL Library provides the loan service of general books, journals and MATESL alumni theses. Once you have found the materials that you want, take your items to the check-out desk. Give them to the librarian and show your NetID to complete the check-out procedure.
- Numbers of items: a maximum of 5 items at one time
- Loan Period: 7 days
- Each item (including general books, journals and theses) can be renewed once for an extension of another 7 days.
- You can renew the item in two ways:
- By Email
Send an email to the librarian for the item renewal. The librarian will record the renewal and inform you of the new due date via email. Please note that overdue items cannot be renewed via email.
- In Person
Stop by the circulation desk to request a renewal during library open hours.
- You can drop your item into the door slot when the library is closed. The librarian will later send you an email that confirms your return.
- You will receive overdue notices if the item hasn’t been returned to the library as scheduled. To avoid overdue notices, please renew the materials before the due date stamped in each item.
Winter Break Check-Out Policy
- The service is only available to the faculty and the students who are enrolled both in Fall and Spring semester.
- Borrowers may check out a maximum of 5 items (including general books, journals and theses) and keep them over the winter break.
- Borrowers need to check out the materials on the last open day of the library in Fall semester and return them on the first open day of library in Spring semester.
* The MATESL Library does not provide book loan service for the summer break.
The AV recording equipment is loaned out to students and researchers who are doing course projects or academic studies in MATESL/LInguistics.
Please note that certain qualifications are required for camcorder users:
- Students who are required to use the AV equipment for course projects have the first priority to request/check out AV equipment. Instructors who have such course projects should give the librarian the name and number of their course.
- Individual borrowers (including TAs) who are not using the equipment to complete course projects need to bring a note or forward an email from their instructors or professors before request/check-out.
- It is highly recommended that you request the item before the day you wish to use.
- You can either send an email to the librarian or stop by the library to fill out the request.
- Bring your student ID (UIN) and fill out the loan agreement form at the check-out desk.
- A due-date reminder will be issued to you upon check-out.
- The detailed list of equipment and the loan period for each item can be found in the MATESL library.
- Users should return the equipment no later than due date and complete the return form in person at the check-out desk.
- There is no renewal service for AV recording equipment.
- Return receipts are available after the items are checked in.
- Users are responsible for returning the items in their original proper and working condition. A fair replacement value will be charged for missing items.
Canon Mini DV users can ask for the librarian’s assistance to digitize Mini DV cassettes into QuickTime files in the MATESL library.
* The MATESL Library doesn’t provide any equipment loan service during the breaks.