Dr. Ryan Keith Shosted
Associate Professor of Linguistics
Associate Professor of Center for African Studies
LINGUISTICS; Affiliated Faculty of Latin American and Caribbean Studies
Associate Professor of Spanish and Portuguese
Associate Professor of Beckman Institute
Articulatory Phonetics, Acoustic Phonetics, Language Documentationhttp://faculty.las.illinois.edu/rshosted/research.html
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley (2006)
- M.A., University of California, Berkeley (2003)
- B.A., Brigham Young University (2000)
- Selected Proceedings of the 40th Annual Conference on African Linguistics. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project, 2011.
- Shosted, Ryan, Christopher Carignan, and Panying Rong. "Managing the distinctiveness of phonemic nasal vowels: Articulatory evidence from Hindi." Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 131.1 (2012): 455-46.
- Shosted, Ryan, Ignacio Hualde, and Daniel Scarpace. "Palatal complexity revisited: An electropalatographic analysis of /ɲ/ in Brazilian Portuguese with comparison to Peninsular Spanish. ." Language and Speech 55.4 (2012): 477-502.
- "An articulatory–aerodynamic approach to stop excrescence." Journal of Phonetics (2011): 660-67.
- Carnigan, Christopher, Ryan Shosted, Chilin Shih, and Panying Rong. "Articulatory compensation for nasality: An EMA study of lingual position during nasalized vowels." Journal of Phonetics 39 (2011): 668–682.
- Shosted, Ryan K., and Sharon Rose. "Affricating ejective fricatives: The case of Tigrinya." Journal of the International Phonetic Association 41.1 (2011): 41-65.
- Shosted, Ryan K., Torrey M. Loucks, Luc F. De Nil, Christopher J. Poletto, and Annie King. "Coordinating vocalization onset with articulation: A potential role for sensory cues." Phonetica 67.1-2 (2010): 47-62.
- Shosted, Ryan. "Towards a glottalic theory of Mayan." New Perspectives in Mayan Linguistics. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambrige Scholar's Publishing, 2011. 80-113.
- Shosted, Ryan. "Articulatory and acoustic characteristics of fricatives in Changana." Selected Proceedings of the 40th Annual Conference on African Linguistics. Comp. E.G. Bokamba, R. K. Shosted, and B. T. Ayalew. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project, 2011. 119–129.
- Shosted, Ryan K. "Towards a glottalic theory of Mayan." New Perspectives in Mayan Linguistics. Comp. H. Avelino. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholar’s Publishing, 2011.
- Shosted, Ryan K. "The production and provenance of Spanish and Portuguese palatal nasals." Romance Linguistics 2009: Selected Papers from the 39th Linguistic Symposium on Romance Languages. Comp. S. Colina, A. Olarrea, and A. Carvalho. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 2010. 43-62.