Director of the School of Literatures, Cultures, and Linguistics, Professor of Linguistics
Professor of LAS Global Studies
Affiliate Professor of French
Arabic Syntax and Morphology
Arabic as a Heritage Language
Syntax, Morphology, Arabic, Semitic, Arabic as a Heritage Language, Acquisition of Arabic as First and second Language.
- BA. Mohammed V University. Morocco.
- MA. University College London. UK.
- Ph.D. University of Southern California
- Aoun, Joseph , Elabbas Benmamoun, and Lina Choueiri. Arabic Syntax. Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Benmamoun, Elabbas. The Feature Structure of Functional Categories. Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Hasegawa-Johnson, Hasegawa-Johnson, Elabbas , Benmamoun, Eiman Mustafawi, and Mohamed Elmahdy . ". On The Definition of the Word `Segmental'." Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Speech Prosody. 2012.
- Benmamoun, Elabbas. " Clause Structure and Tense of Verbless Sentences." Foundational Issues In Linguistics Theory. Ed. Maria-Luisa Zubizaretta, Robert Freidin, and Carlos Otero. MIT Press, 2008. 105-131.
- Benmamoun, Elabbas. "Reciprocals as Plurals." Research in Afroasiatic Grammar II. Ed. Jacqueline Lecarme. John Benjamins, 2003. 53-62.
- Benmamoun, Elabbas. "The Role of the Imperfective Template in Arabic Morphology." Language Processing and Acquisition in Languages of Semitic, Root-based, Morphology. Ed. Joseph Shimron. John Benjamins, 2003. 99-114.
- Benmamoun, Elabbas. Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics XIX. John Benjamins, 2007.
- Al-Hawary, Mohammad , and Elabbas Benmamoun. Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics XVII-XVIII. John Benjamins, 2005.
- Parkinson, Dilworth, and Elabbas Benmamoun. Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics XIII-XIV. John Benjamins, 2002.
- Benmamoun, Elabbas. Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics XII. John Benjamins, 1999.
- Lappin, Shalom, and Elabbas Benmamoun. Fragments: Studies In Ellipsis and Gapping. Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Benmamoun, Elabbas, and Mushira Eid. Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics Vol. XI. John Benjamins, 1998.
- Albirini, Abdulkafi , Brahim Chakrani, and Elabbas Benmamoun. "Gender and Number Agreement in the Oral Production of Arabic ." Language and Cognition 16.1 (2013): 1-18.
- Benmamoun, Elabbas. "Agreement and Cliticization in Arabic Varieties from Diachronic and Synchronic Perspectives." Al-`Arabiyya 44-45 (2012): 137-150.
- Albirini, Abdulkafi, and Elabbas Benmamoun. "Aspects of second language transfer in the oral production of Egyptian and Palestinian heritage speakers." International Journal of Bilingualism (2012):
- Albirini, Abdulkafi, Elabbas Benmamoun, and Eman Saadah. "Grammatical features of Egyptian and Palestinian Arabic Heritage Speakers’ Oral Production." Studies in Second Language Acquisition 33 (2011): 273-303..
- Benmamoun, Elabbas, Archna Bhatia, and Maria Polinsky. "Closest Conjunct Agreement in Head-Final Languages." Linguistic Variation Yearbook 9 (2010): 67-88.
- Benmamoun, Elabbas. "The Syntax of Arabic Tense." Linguistique Arabe (2007): 9-25.
- Benmamoun, Elabbas, and Heidi Lorimor. "Featureless Expressions: When Morpho-phonological Markers are absent." Linguistic Inquiry 37.1 (2006): 1-23.
- Benmamoun, Elabbas. "Licensing Options: The Puzzle of Head NPIs." Linguistic Inquiry (2006): 141-149.
- Benmamoun, Elabbas , and Rajesh Kumar. "The Overt Licensing of NPIs in Hindi." The Yearbook of South Asian (2006): 31-48.
- Benmamoun, Elabbas. "Agreement parallelism between sentences and noun phrases." Lingua 113 (2003): 747-764.
- Benmamoun, Elabbas . "Arabic Syntax." Encyclopedia of Arabic Linguistics IV. Brill Academic Publishers, 2009.
- Benmamoun, Elabbas. "The Construct State." Encyclopedia of Arabic Linguistics. Brill Academic Publishers, 2006.